Cobham Rugby Club

Last Saturday, I went down to Cobham Rugby Club for their ‘Value the Volunteer’ lunch, before their home game against Chobam (I know – a bit of a tongue-twister for the pundits). I spoke about how valuable volunteers are for local sports clubs and charities more generally, and how local community sport is vital for […]

Read More

Rydens Enterprise School

Last week, I visited Rydens Enterprise School in Hersham. I had a useful discussion with the new Head of School, Mrs Payne, who updated me on the latest renovation plans, and we also talked about the school’s wider ambitions. I also took some time to take a raft of questions from a group of Year […]

Read More

Esher and Walton Conservative Women’s Association AGM

Last Thursday evening, I joined the Esher and Walton Conservative Women’s Association AGM in Hersham. I spoke about the Conservative government’s record of empowering women, including the gender pay gap which is at a record low. I also explained the government’s drive to crack down on human trafficking, strengthen meritocracy and deliver Brexit. I continue […]

Read More

Neighbourhood Food Collection

Earlier this month, I dropped in to check out the annual Neighbourhood Food Collection at Tesco, in West Molesey. The event is a collective partnership between Tesco, the Trussell Trust and FareShare and is part of an ongoing effort to encourage customers to donate long-life food to charity to help those most in need. Since […]

Read More

Visit to Esher College

Last Friday, I talked to politics students at Esher College about my role as MP, what it is like to be a government minister and the direction of travel on Brexit. I then answered questions from the enthusiastic students on why I wanted to become an MP, legislation around unions and the refugee situation in […]

Read More

Christmas Post

This morning, I had an early start visiting the Royal Mail East and West Molesey delivery office to see first-hand the operation of delivering Christmas post. Juan Alonso, the delivery office manager, showed me around the depot. I chatted to staff about the pressures of delivering Christmas cards and parcels at their busiest time of […]

Read More

Oxshott and Cobham Music Society

Last Friday, I met with the Oxshott and Cobham Music Society. They are an impressive but also very friendly group, chaired by Chris Mapleton. They organise regular concerts with high level musicians as well as talks and meetings to allow people to enjoy music locally in Elmbridge. The society also offer young people the opportunity […]

Read More

Visit to Cranmere School

On Friday, I visited Cranmere School in Esher. I was given a tour of the newly extended school, which includes a spacious play area and a brand new IT suite where the pupils are learning computer programming and coding. I then spoke to the School Council for 30 minutes and took questions about the role […]

Read More

Small Business Saturday

This morning, I took a stroll along Claygate Village Parade with John Walker (from the Federation of Small Businesses), to support and hear from local retailers. I discussed a range of issues, including online retail competition, local parking (which has got better, and is helping footfall), business rates, local commercial rents and VAT. Claygate Parade […]

Read More

Visit to Danes Hill School

On Friday, I visited Danes Hill School in Oxshott. I had a chat with the Headteacher, Mr Murdock, and then spoke to the School Council, which is made up of 30 boys and girls between the ages of 11-13. I explained the three key roles of being an MP – helping individual people when they […]

Read More