Visit to Esher College

Last Friday, I talked to politics students at Esher College about my role as MP, what it is like to be a government minister and the direction of travel on Brexit. I then answered questions from the enthusiastic students on why I wanted to become an MP, legislation around unions and the refugee situation in […]

Read More

Christmas Post

This morning, I had an early start visiting the Royal Mail East and West Molesey delivery office to see first-hand the operation of delivering Christmas post. Juan Alonso, the delivery office manager, showed me around the depot. I chatted to staff about the pressures of delivering Christmas cards and parcels at their busiest time of […]

Read More

Oxshott and Cobham Music Society

Last Friday, I met with the Oxshott and Cobham Music Society. They are an impressive but also very friendly group, chaired by Chris Mapleton. They organise regular concerts with high level musicians as well as talks and meetings to allow people to enjoy music locally in Elmbridge. The society also offer young people the opportunity […]

Read More

Visit to Cranmere School

On Friday, I visited Cranmere School in Esher. I was given a tour of the newly extended school, which includes a spacious play area and a brand new IT suite where the pupils are learning computer programming and coding. I then spoke to the School Council for 30 minutes and took questions about the role […]

Read More

Small Business Saturday

This morning, I took a stroll along Claygate Village Parade with John Walker (from the Federation of Small Businesses), to support and hear from local retailers. I discussed a range of issues, including online retail competition, local parking (which has got better, and is helping footfall), business rates, local commercial rents and VAT. Claygate Parade […]

Read More

Visit to Danes Hill School

On Friday, I visited Danes Hill School in Oxshott. I had a chat with the Headteacher, Mr Murdock, and then spoke to the School Council, which is made up of 30 boys and girls between the ages of 11-13. I explained the three key roles of being an MP – helping individual people when they […]

Read More

West Molesey Sea Scouts

Last week, I visited the 1st Jaguar Sea Scouts Group in West Molesey. Liam Quinn, the Scout Leader, welcomed me and introduced me to the Scouts. I spoke to them about what an MP does, how Parliament works and what Government Ministers do. I then answered a range of questions from the very bright and […]

Read More

Remembrance Sunday in Walton

Today, I joined the local community in Walton-on-Thames for Remembrance Sunday. We started off at the War Memorial, just off the high street, and Rev Jonny Blair led the service and tribute.  All the armed forces were represented, along with younger cadets, brownies and a throng of residents. I laid a wreath along with Embridge […]

Read More

Visit to Connections in Claygate

Today, I visited the Connections group at Holy Trinity Church in Claygate. Connections is a group for local elderly residents to meet fortnightly over coffee and cakes in a welcoming and friendly environment. Pippa Cramer, who is the chief coordinator of the group, and her fantastic team of volunteers put on a varied range of activities […]

Read More

Expanding Heathrow: the Case For Elmbridge

This week, the government approved the expansion of a third runway at Heathrow airport. To be clear, this is the point of departure, not arrival. Parliament will now scrutinise the detail of the proposals carefully, and vote on the decision next year. Nevertheless, after years of uncertainty, the decision has been announced, I want to […]

Read More