Lobby Group Politics

MPs get hundreds of emails and letters from constituents. I try to answer every one in reasonable time. But, MPs have finite time and resources, and I also want to prioritise those in the greatest need. It is a difficult balance. My approach is to ask those with a problem or issue they want me […]

Read More

Why do MPs have such long holidays?

It is a common myth that MPs have ludicrously long holidays. Parliament went into recess last week. With the exception of two weeks in September, MPs will not return for two and a half months. But, Parliament not sitting is not the same thing as MPs not working. I can’t speak for others, but I’m […]

Read More

End of Term Report Card

As I came through the general anaesthetic last week (from key-hole surgery to repair some hip cartilage), I gazed through bleary eyes at the TV screen for some news. The Sky News ticker read: “North Korea threatens to invade South Korea”. Next item: “Conservative MP criticises Coalition in Pub”. It was a typical illustration of […]

Read More

Summer Fetes

Erika and I have been visiting local fairs and shows whilst the good weather holds. Today, we enjoyed lunch and the opening of the brilliant Claygate Flower Show (below, with President Susanne Tunnicliff and her husband Kenny) …. … before joining Mike Roycroft and his fantastic team at the Whiteley village Summer Fete (above). Both […]

Read More

Funding for Princess Alice Hospice

I was delighted to hear this week that capital grant funding for Princess Alice Hospice has been confirmed despite the parlous state of the public finances. The hospice does incredible work for those with terminal illness – and their families – and Ministers have now confirmed to me that a £40k tranche of capital funding, […]

Read More

Campaign to Save NSPCC Surrey branch

I have written the following open letter to Andrew Flanagan, Chief Executive of the NSPCC: Dear Mr Flanagan CLOSURE OF SURREY BRANCH OF THE NSPCC I am writing in relation to the planned closure of the Surrey Branch of the NSPCC in Leatherhead. I have spoken to Julie Cole, NSPCC Regional head of Services in […]

Read More

Prescott’s Legacy

One of the legacies of the last government is John Prescott’s disastrous stint in charge of planning. Whilst, the new government has made a fresh start – scrapping the South East Plan (with its arbitrary housing targets) and announcing plans to tackle ‘garden-grabbing’ and illegal traveller sites – it will not be possible to roll […]

Read More

Fairer Local Funding, Stronger Local Democracy

Yesterday, the new ministerial team at the Department for Communities and Local Government appeared before Parliament. It was an important first opportunity for MPs to test the new government’s commitment to strengthening respect for communities and local democracy – and the early signs are good. I had been concerned that the Conservative pledge in opposition […]

Read More

Maiden Speech

Yesterday, I delivered my maiden speech in the House of Commons, during the Constitutional and Home Affairs debate on the Queen’s Speech. I paid tribute to my predecessor Ian Taylor, highlighted the poor funding deal we get from central government for local services – and its ramifications – and made the case for reversing the […]

Read More

Community Spirit in Elmbridge

This week, I have been down to Cobham Day center, Walton Charity and Lower Green Community Association to hear how they are faring in the aftermath of recession. The voluntary sector suffers in any economic downturn, but I was delighted to see all three thriving despite the financial pressures. The voluntary sector play an important […]

Read More