Moving House

Knee deep in boxes – Erika and I are moving house this weekend. We’ve enjoyed a wonderful year renting in Claygate, and have been looking for a place to buy here and around the area. Eventually, we found the right place for us in Thames Ditton – looking forward to getting settled in.

Read More

Claygate Clubhouse

Congratulations to Nigel Abbott for another successful fund-raiser for the new Claygate Clubhouse. I only managed to drop by late on, but the Sportsman’s Evening at the Bengal Lancer was a great success – when I arrived Tony Gale was holding court, entertaining a packed venue. Nigel et al have made great progress towards the […]

Read More

Ending the Year on a High

Elmbridge has come top of the Halifax Quality of Life Survey 2010, for the third year running. Elmbridge scored highly on health, life expectancy, employment, average earnings and school results. Of course, reports like this are a double-edged sword. Labour used these ‘mean’ scores to diddle Elmbridge (and Surrey) in terms of the funding we […]

Read More

Happy Birthday Noelle

Val Hibberd and the Claygate & Hinchley Wood branch put on a wonderful Christmas lunch on Friday. The star guest was Noelle Shilson, one of the leading lights in the Conservative Association for decades. At ninety-eight Noelle is still going strong, an inspiration to us all. Born on Christmas day, we wished her a very […]

Read More

Local Cuts

This week, we heard the news on the local cuts resulting from the Spending Review: Over the next two years, Surrey County Council will see cuts in its grants from central government of 9.5%, but Elmbridge has been hit harder by 34% cuts. The practical impact is not as severe as that may sound, because […]

Read More

Santa Sighted in Stoke D’Abernon

Yesterday, I joined Stoke D’Abernon residents to turn on their Christmas lights, and enjoy some mulled wine and mince pies. Congratulations to Ian Nelson and all those who organised a really fun family event … … and to Father Christmas who put in an early seasonal appearance, straight from Lapland, to the delight of the […]

Read More

Business Breakfast

Congratulations to Rachael Lake and Elmbridge Business Network, for organising their breakfast meeting today, despite the snow and ice. I updated the group on the government’s plans for cutting business taxes and red-tape, and expanding investment in finance for small and medium size companies. Unsurprisingly, we discussed business rates, and the idea for local authorities […]

Read More

Rock ‘n Roll in Cobham

Well almost. Last night, co-founder of the Boom Town Rats, Jerry Cott, played the first night of a series of performances, to launch his new album Urban Soundscapes. If you love solo guitar and/ or blues, check out the album and his other shows at http://www.gerrycott.com/. The proceeds from the show went towards the Riverhill […]

Read More

Out with the Scouts

Yesterday, I visited Hersham Scouts, a great local club for youngsters. The lads were full of creative ideas for cutting the budget deficit and didn’t hold back with a whole range of probing questions! The troop also have an entrepreneurial streak, and run a Christmas Tree delivery (and pick up) service, to raise money for […]

Read More

Claygate Clubhouse

On Saturday, I joined the Claygate Recreation Ground Trust at an event at Sandown Park to help promote, and raise funds, for a new local clubhouse (see below). The recreation ground is a real focal point for the village – whether you enjoy football, cricket or the flower show. Richard Waller and Nigel Abbott have […]

Read More